Montag, 4. Oktober 2010

*** TAKING THE SCHOOL OUT OF OLD SCHOOL, STEALING YOUR LUNCH MONEY AND BUYING BEER WITH IT!!! ***

Hey folks, and here it is, the next interview that I have finally managed to get it up and online and ready for ya to read!!! Damn it, also this interview should have been already online for about two weeks or so, hm, if not even three right now. But, damn it, the last weeks had been damn busy with work, sports, my private life and some private troubles, so I just didn't got it done to get it online earlier, but how-ever, now here it is, the interview with the great SORE LOSERS, a damn great and very sympathic and authentic band that also really have to tell us a lot of good and interesting stuff, so yeahr, here it is!!! They convinced right from the start when I first listened to them via MySpace, and as I got thir CD it was pretty clear to me that I need to do an interview with them!!! Yeahr, and here it is!!! I won't tell ya anymore right now, 'cause the band does this much better by themselves, so enjoy this intrview with the great band of the SORE LOSERS!!! And THANX a lot to Mike, Juan, and all the other guys in the SORE LOSERS for doing this interview, for spending their time and energy on doing it, putting their work and effort in it, and doing such a fine job!!! THANX guys, and keep in touch!!!

01.) ‘Taking the school out of old school!’ Hey guys, first of all THANX a lot for sending me your CD’s and also, of course, for doing this interview. THANX!!! So first of all tell us how’s the stand of play today in the SORE LOSERS camp?!? Give us some fresh thirsty news;-)!!!


Juan: Chris and Chad just brought in two great new song ideas in the last month. So that's pretty exciting. The fact that we're able to add strong new material to our song list should be any band's objective.

Mike: Hungry to play more gigs and record again soon -- world domination.

02.) Give us some information ‘bout you guys in the band (age, families, hobbys, work/job, who does/plays what in the band, band experiences before the SORE LOSERS, any other band activities of you beside the SORE LOSERS, and/or what-so-ever else comes to your mind;-)…). So, who are you “inand beside the band”, haha;-)?!?

Juan: Brian- the bass player plays in a band called THE OISTERS you should check them out. My name is Juan and I'm 40 years old. Most guys my age bowl in a league or play golf. They probably try to practice enough so they don't suck at their hobby, and it gives them a chance to get out of the house every so often.I play drums in a band. No difference.

Mike: Chris (guitar) and I (singer) played in RAZORWIRE back in Boston in the 90's and for a short time here in Austin – after Chris had a pretty fun time playing in the PINK SWORDS and had done a little touring of Europe, they broke up--he was looking for something new... we had always worked well writing songs together so it was easy for us to hop back into being in a band again after all these years--helps when ya know each others strengths and weaknesses (NONE!)—

03.) Ah, what’s the meaning behind your bandname, I mean, why are ‘losers’ so ‘sore’?!? Anything special behind it, any special meaning?!?

Juan: I joined this band, and not the other way around so maybe Mike or Chris can give you some better insight on this one.

Mike: Nothing special.... Chris being witty -- just seemed to fit.

04.) It’s maybe a little bit annoying to get to answer to this question, to be honest, haha;-), but I can’t spare you it, so here it comes, the ultimate standard question of them all: Tell us your bandhistory right from the start and the earliest beginning up to the present day!!!

Juan: I think Chris or Mike can answer regarding the very beginning stages of our band. Saying that you play in a band here in Austin is like saying you breathe... everyone plays in a band or multiple bands. The band initially started out as a four-piece without a stable bass player or drummer. I can't remember if I answered a drummer wanted ad or if Mike answered my ad, but I know he was the first person I spoke with about the band. I immediately told him I didn't have any aspirations to look for a record deal or tour the country in a van. If I worked out and we got along, I could be responsible & dedicated enough to help make this work. Mike gave me a CD of a few songs to learn. I think I listened to 2 or 3 songs in the car for the next week, and came in and played them for the first at a rehearsal the guys had set up. I'm by no means the best drummer, but I think we all have more in common than not, and that's sometimes more important than being "the best" at an instrument. I think I came into the band in November, Chad (2nd guitar) came in December, and we played our first show the following January. The band has thankfully had the same line-up for going on three years now. Mike: VocalsChris: Lead & rhythm guitar Brian: Bass Chad: 2nd lead & rhythm guitar Me: Drums We're all around the same age, we have jobs, and some of us have families...so this set-up works well for us, really.

Mike: No great stories about how we got this line-up together, Chris and I were writing songs, tried a couple drummers/bassists--we knew Brian played bass in HIT BY A CAR, and previously THE Oi!STERS... said we needed him for a gig, he liked it, I guess, and stuck around -- we found Juan or he found us from some advertisement and Chad and Chris already knew each other -- things just fell into place -- 5 very different personalities and musical tastes - -we got together and it sounded and felt good -- I think thats kinda how most bands get together.

05.) Give us a little insight view of your current discography. Is your selftitled record your only release so far or have you also some other stuff out there, any sampler appearances, singles, split records, etc., what-so-ever?!?

Juan: Mike is always trying to get our music to new people.I'll let him handle this one.

Mike: All we have out right now are the Cds we printed ourselves, as well as the usual online music sellers like CD Baby and itunes---we're looking for somebody to REALLY put out our 1st Cd properly with lots of hoopla and this and that---no singles, splits, or comps yet......hoping soon!

06.) So, after these more or less housekeeping questions, let us get deeper into the life and crimes of the SORE LOSERS. Let us start with a look at your music that goes a little bit deeper into it. First of all I would like to know what was back in the days your main-motivation to start the band and to play the music that you play, and had there been any important inspiartions when it comes to writing songs in the beginning that had stayed until this current day?!? Any ‘idols’ that were cornerstones to you and your music?!?

Juan: I've always wanted to play drums as a kid, but I could never afford a drum set. Finally I gathered up enough money to buy a cheap Tama kit, but I was already in my 20's. So I was a very late starter compared to the other people my age already playing. Maybe that's why I'm so influenced by the simpler-playing drummers? I've tried to learn by always watching other drummers. Still to this day, the drummer is pretty much the main person I focus-in on when I see a band perform, and I agree that a band can only as good as their drummer.

Mike: I'm a loud, and angry young man with a lot to say--most of the people I know feel the same way....I love music, I like to vent my anger and frustration....singing in a band, and writing lyrics helps me get through the day--I hope our music connects with lots of people, helps them, like it helps me......and encourages us all to gave a good time all the time! The Sore Losers represent the everyman (and women), hopefully with what we're saying and with the racket we're making, we'll help ya deal with work, sex, reality TV, politics, etc----of course we're taken best with a healthy dose of alcohol. If nothing else....Sore Losers fans should say... say "fuck it" lets get drunk and listen to some tunes.

Juan: Influences? PETER CRISS, MARKY RAMONE, AJ PERO, PHIL RUDD and BUN E. CARLO. I don't mean to dissappoint you, but I'd much rather listen to DOKKEN than DANZIG.

Chad: I like all kinds of music from Thrash to Oi! and Classic Rock. BLACK SABBATH, and AEROSMITH to weird bands like THE BUTTHOLE SURFERS and FRANK ZAPPA.

Mike: Punk, Oi!, Hardcore, Country... Old Country --- THE BUSINESS, COCKSPARRE, BLITZ,DEAD BOYS, MOTÖRHEAD, U.S. BOMBS, U.K. SUBS, ROSE TATTOO, GUNS’N’ROSES, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, SUPERSUCKERS, JOHNNY CASH, HAGGARD, JENNINGS, THE BRUISERS, just to name a few. I hate RUSH and Jazz. Aspirations.......BEER and a SHOT. Aspirations? None, really. I just look at this as 5 friends that get together to play in a band.

07.) When it comes to writing new songs, tell us how the process of songwriting is working in the SORE LOSERS camp, who’s doing what?!? How long do you normally work on a new song, if you can say it (in) this ‘general’?!? Because I think you’re putting pretty much energy and attitude into your songs and music, a lot of passion and pride!!!

Juan: Chris (guitars) and Mike (vocals) are the primary writers. Chris will usually come in with anything from a simple riff or full music idea, but we all have an input as to maybe the song's arrangement. Mike keeps a journal of lyrics and is always ready with a melody idea depending on how a song is turning out.

08.) Alcohol and boozing seem to be not that unimportant to you as a band, to say it this way, haha;-), so what kind of rehearsal sessions do you prefer when it comes tow riting and practising your new songs?!? Pure beer fueled alcoholic mayhem unleashed, or through and through serious writing sessions?!?

Chad: Me and Chris the guitar players drink a few beers. Juan sticks to the water. i guess booze fuels the guitar riffs. Mike writes the Lyrics.

Mike: Writing and rehearsing goes hand in hand with drinking. We save our serious boozin’ for the stage.....fueling the alcoholic mayhem,pushing ourselves and the audience close to the edge! And occasionally falling off. We are far from perfect.....musicians, music......yeah, not really...was it ROTTEN who said the PISTOLS were more into chaos than music? Me too.

09.) Hm, what are the favorite brews of you that you prefer?!? More the american case of brewtality, or do you prefer foreign beers?!? Ah, and what are your thoughts when it comes to german brews, and which sorts of german beer do you maybe know?!? And beside beer, what are your thoughts on other alcoholic stuff to get maybe a little bit fired up?!? Ah, your thoughts on living Straight Edge, haha;-)?!?

Juan: Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Brian: Makers Mark.

Chad: What’s free or cheap.

Mike: COORS and JAMESON -- Straight Edge always seemed kinda boring.... to each his or own -- was never for me.

10.) Back to your music: I’ve written that you’re playing a very well-versed and a pretty vary mixture out of hard hitting Rock & Roll with a strong street charmè and very forceful and anthemic Streetpunk. If you ask me, very stand-alone stuff!!! If I got it wrong now here’s your timeand place to set things straight and correct again;-)!!! Maybe you’re just somehow a little bit comparable to or with the THE CORPS from Down Under/Australia. Do you know hem?!? Is your music some kind of ‘organic development’, or is there something like a lot of planning behind it?!?

Juan: I'm not too well versed on the Old School or Oi! Punk aspect of things. Last week I noticed Chad started toying around with TED NUGENT’s "GREAT WHITE BUFFALO". So that always more exciting to me...70's & 80's Rock. Personally, I consider us a just Rock & Roll band.

Mike: Very little planning goes into what we do.... Whatever happens or we come up, is just how its done. I think anything choreographed, or to heavily planned would probably end up annoying, and probably come off as and fake. We never say "lets write a Punk song or an Oi! song" - we do and play what we like -- if we like it, hopefully somebody else will... and if they don't, they should try another one of our songs -- we don't really care either way -- the 5 of us have lots of various different tastes in music, whether it be 70's Hard Rock, Punk, Oi!, Country etc. Ithink all of that shines through in our songs -- something for everyone.

11.) Somewhere words about your lyrics: I think from pretty much party and alcohol influenced lyrics you do cover a pretty wide distance to more personal stuff and also some kind of critizism on society. So, but after your lyrics aren’t not printed, give us some general informations on the topics you use to sing about. Ah, and who is writing the lyrics and from where do you/he get your/his inspirations in general?!?

Juan: Mike is the sole lyricist.Most our songs are about girls, drink and fun. I don't think any of us havetoo much to really complain about. Your life is what you make of it.

Mike: I think R’N’R music and lyrics should make ya move....dancing,singing along, breaking stuff, getting ya outta the house,take a pull off that bottle etc....TURN IT UP REAL LOUD and DO SOMETHING!!!

12.) Some words to the lyrical content of two or three of your songs. Let us start with “WWIII”, a really good smasher, by the way. I wanted you to ask about the message of this song: I’m not so sure, if it’s ‘just’ a Rock & Roll Outlaw anthem (‘you and your guitar against the rest of the world’) or if there’s any, hm, deeper meaning behind it?!? What’s the message of the song and what was the cause for writing it respectively the lyrics to it?!?

Mike: It is pretty much just a RNR outlaw anthem -- kinda early SOCIAL DISTORTION Punk Rock ‘101’ subject matter --- when it seems like the worlds against you -- nothings going right etc. -- as long as you've a guitar, and a girl -- nothing can stop us - you've got what ya need to fight back.... we all need that something....

13.) Next song would be “PROM QUEEN”: Fed up with BARBY SPEARS, PARIS HILTON, and other ‘high society’ bitches like that?!? By the way, also a fuckin’ good song!!!

Mike: I like them -- I think they're "hot" just not very talented or seemingly very smart. Looking good is what their selling not whats coming out of their mouths/talking is probably not what they're best at. “PROM QUEEN” is just a silly song--we've all been out of high school for awhile but we all know the types...the girls we never got in high school, never will...secrets they all have we all have, drugs, sex, R’N’R!!!

14.) One of my absolute favorites is the great track called “TIME”. A fantastic piece of music, really!!! Great!!! Who’s the girl/woman who’s singing the song with you?!? Great, powerful and beautiful singing voice, just to let you know that!!! Some words to the lyrics and the mood of the song: It seems to me to be a some kind of melancholic song, about bad circumstances and not that good turning points in the road called life. Tell us something about the cause as well as the message of this goosepimple masterpiece, please!!!

Juan: That was my favorite song when I first joined the band. Easily one of the best songs on the CD. I think we should start playing it live!

Mike: Getting older can sometimes suck. Bad luck, missed opportunities. Sometimes a 2nd chance would been nice. Fuck it. Just drink. Ms. RONIA BLAKE is the more talented vocal on that song. She's been quite a few really good Austin bands over the years. Great voice, just came in did her part, unrehersed......a lot of folks love that song. I have always loved the band X, always wanted to do something like them...

15.) Next and last one for this would be about your larger than life anthem “LOSERS”. Damn, that’s a great song, no matter if you take the music or the lyrics?!? I see the song as a huge ‘Heads up!’ for all the guys out there who know about hard struggles and harder work in life. A wrong impression of it?!?

Juan: It's just a good Rock song.

Mike: I think ya got it!

16.) Before we’re coming to a close, three or four final question: Can you tell us something about your local/regional scene?!? Any bands, clubs, bars, record shops, distros, fanzines, etc. around that we all should know about?!? Ah, and what when it comes to sports, anything we should know about your local/regional ‘sporting scene’?!?

Juan: We play at a place downtown Austin Tx called Headhunters alot. Several good record stores. I thought Germany was certain to win the cup this year.Mexico has a long way to go, but we are trying.


17.) What are your current favorite bands and records that you can’t ‘live’ without currently?!? Hm, and do you know of any german or in general european bands that are really rocking your socks off?!?

Juan: I just got an "ipod" last year. Now I can always have all my KISS, CHEAP TRICK, TOM PETTY, and VAN HALEN CDs with me. Favorite band: KISS. Last CD I listened to: IRON MAIDEN – “THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST”. Last concert: “1964” (BEATTLES tribute). From Germany, I prefer the SCORPIONS

18.) Do you play often live?!? I think so, haha;-)!!! How do we have to imagine a live show of you?!? Give us some impressions?!? Ah, and will we maybe be able to see you some time live on stage over here in Germany?!? Would be great!!!

Juan: We try to play out a couple of times a month, depending on what's happening in town. We've been out to a few surrounding cities in Texas, but nothing crazy. I don't think we'll be in Europe any time soon.

Mike: Germany...? We'd love to....find somebody to make us an offer!

19.) Last question: Your self titled record is from 2008, so when will there be coming a new record of you?!? I hope as soon as possible!!! Can you already tell us about new songs of you?!?

Juan: We're talking about recording this year.

Mike: NO BULLSHIT R’N’R -- BLOOD SWEAT and BEERS -- ALL I NEED RIGHT NOW.... IS A SHOT AND A BEER – PAIN -- GOING FOR BROKE -- WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS -- HEY YOU... WHAT YA TRYIN TO DO?

20.) So guys, that’s all from me right now. Once again, THANX a lot for doing this interview, and all the best for your future plans!!! Keep in touch!!! The last words now remain to you!!! Greetings from Germany!!! Cheers & Oi!, Andy!!!

SL: Thank you for taking an interest in our band. We appreciate it!

So guys, dear readers, that was the interview ad I hope you've enjoyed it, yeahr, and now go and leave and get in contact with the band, buy and order their record and give them your support, 'cause they really deserve it, damn fuckin' point and damn fuckin' fact!!! Cheers & Oi!

And now you get also a video of the SORE LOSERS and their larger-than-life anthem "LOSERS", damn it, what a great song of what a fuckin' awesome band!!! Hopefull they will find a good label pretty soon that will get their stuff out with some proper distribution behind it!!! Yeahr, and to all the german concert bookers, damn, get in contact with them and try everything to bring them over here to us so that they can tear down every fuckin' german stage, if ya all know what I mean!!! Ah, by the way, also pretty nice video clip!!!


SORE LOSERS - "LOSERS"

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen